Residents and visitors alike savor the open roads Texas offers for motorcycles. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are susceptible to extremely serious injuries whenever they are involved in motor vehicle accidents because of their inherent lack of protection.
Many motorcycle crashes are the result of another party’s negligence. Victims who have suffered severe injuries in motorcycle accidents can be entitled to various damages for their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Houston, TX
Did you sustain catastrophic injuries or was your loved one killed in a motorcycle crash in Harris County? You should avoid speaking to any insurance company until you are first able to contact The Gonzalez Law Group.
Our Houston personal injury attorneys represent clients injured in accidents in communities in the greater Harris County area including Pearland, Baytown, Seabrook, La Porte, Pasadena, Galena Park, Friendswood, and many others. Call (832) 530-4070 today to have our lawyers provide an honest and thorough evaluation of your case during a free, confidential consultation.
Overview of Motorcycle Accidents in Harris County
- Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
- Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Harris County
- Motorcycle Accident Resources in Texas
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
It is not uncommon for another motorist to be at fault for causing a motorcycle crash, but the way that these types of collisions occur can vary depending on multiple factors. Some of the most common reasons that motorcycle accidents occur in the Houston area include, but are not limited to:
- Left Turn Crashes — When other drivers turn left in front of oncoming motorcycles, the motorcyclists are powerless to avoid collisions;
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) — Some motorists who cause motorcycle accidents are also arrested for drunk driving offenses;
- Intersection Collisions — Crashes occur when other vehicles fail to stop or yield at certain intersections;
- Rear-End Collisions — While most passenger vehicle “fender benders” leave minimal damage, a motor vehicle that strikes a motorcycle from behind—even at a low speed—can throw the motorcyclist several feet from his or her bike;
- Lane Change Accidents — When motorcycles and passenger vehicles are traveling the same direction, a driver’s failure to check his or her blind spot can lead to a devastating collision during an attempted lane change;
- Defective Parts — Some motorcycle crashes do not involve other vehicles, or the collisions are the result of malfunctioning motorcycle parts—for which third parties may be liable; and
- Unsafe Roadways — Governmental agencies can be liable when an accident is the result of a poorly maintained, designed, constructed, or highway.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Harris County
In many cases, the types of injuries that a motorcycle crash victim suffers are very serious. Recovery can last several weeks, months, or even years, and victims will often face staggering medical expenses while being unable to return to work.
Some of the most severe types of injuries in these cases include, but are not limited to:
- Road Rash
- Fractures (Broken Bones)
- Neck Injuries
- Eye Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Herniated Discs
- Internal Organ Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Motorcycle Accident Resources in Texas
Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) | Motorcycle and Moped Licenses — Visit this section of the TxDPS website to learn more about motorcycle license requirements in Texas. You can also find information about DPS-approved motorcycle safety courses. The website contains information about certain issues relating to minors.
2015 Data: Motorcycles | CrashStats | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) — NHTSA is the U.S. Department of Transportation agency with the mission to “Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity.” View a 2015 NHTSA fact sheet detailing motorcycle accident statistics in the United States. You can learn more about fatality and injury rates, helmet use, and the involvement of alcohol.
Contact Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you were severely injured or your loved one was killed in a motorcycle crash in Southeast Texas, it will be in your best interest to retain legal counsel before speaking to an insurance company. The Gonzalez Law Group assists individuals throughout Harris County, Friendswood, Pearland, Seabrook, League City, Deer Park, Pasadena, La Porte, Galena Park, Baytown, and many others.
Our personal injury lawyers in Houston can negotiate with the negligent party’s insurer on your behalf to achieve a full and fair settlement, and our firm is not afraid to file a lawsuit if the insurance company is unwilling to provide adequate compensation. You can have our attorneys review your case and answer all of your legal questions as soon as you call (832) 530-4070 or complete an online contact form to receive a free initial consultation.