When pedestrian accidents occur, their results can be devastating. As a result, it is important to understand how these accidents occur and what to do if you are involved in one. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Texas.
How do Pedestrian Accidents Occur?
Pedestrian accidents can be a result of things like:
- Faulty car parts
- Inclement weather
- Poor road conditions
But, the majority of accidents are due to either driver or pedestrian negligence.
Common examples of driver negligence include:
- Excessive speeding
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Driving while under the influence of drugs/alcohol
- Failing to follow lights, signs, and other rules of the road
Pedestrian negligence can include:
- Failing to use crosswalks
- Failing to follow traffic lights and signs
- Crossing while distracted, for example, while looking down at a phone
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to provide an important outside perspective. Additionally, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Document the scene: If possible, take pictures and videos of the scene of the accident. Be sure to document your injuries, and any damage done to the vehicles and property involved.
- Seek medical attention: Going to the hospital will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional. Additionally, it will provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: An experienced attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- File your claim on time: In Texas, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Texas, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated attorney today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.