When a suit for dissolution of a marriage is filed, it is just as important for people to not take prohibited actions as it is for them to complete required actions. The number of issues involved in a divorce can be overwhelming and confusing for many people.
The Gonzalez Law Group provides the following list of helpful do’s and don’ts for many divorce cases. You should certainly discuss specific questions with your own legal counsel for advice as it relates to your own divorce case.
Are you filing for divorce in Southeast Texas? Make sure you have legal representation. Contact The Gonzalez Law Group as soon as possible.
Our Houston divorce lawyers represent clients throughout Harris County, Friendswood, Pearland, Seabrook, League City, Deer Park, Pasadena, La Porte, Galena Park, Baytown, and many others. Call (832) 530-4070 right now to have our attorneys review your case and discuss all of your legal options during a free initial consultation.
- Do change your passwords to your email accounts and social media sites.
- Do disclose all assets and liabilities when filling out your inventory.
- Do be aware of the household budget and expenses.
- Do examine your own credit history and get a credit report.
- Do collect your last two tax returns, real estate deeds and mortgage documents.
- Do know the total balance on joint checking and savings bank accounts.
- Do know the balance on your retirement plans, 401(k), pension plan, etc.
- Do collect a copy of your spouse’s last two paycheck stubs.
- Do seek a CPA or accountant to review the tax implications of a divorce.
- Do seek help for alcohol or unlawful substance abuse.
- Do keep a journal with you to write down the exchange and pick up of the children.
- Do keep copies of any monies paid to your spouse.
- Do pay your child support on time.
- Do co-parent with your spouse.
- Do comply with court-ordered injunctions and restrictions.
- Do not hide things from your attorney.
- Do not post things on any social media outlet that can later be used against you.
- Do not post any information about your divorce on a social media site.
- Do not withhold visitation from your spouse for lack of child support payments.
- Do not move out of state with your children.
- Do not start another romantic relationship.
- Do not bring your new significant other around your children.
- Do not bring your new significant other to court hearings.
- Do not get pregnant or get anyone pregnant.
- Do not remove children from their current school.
- Do not send mean, rude, etc., emails, texts, or messages to your spouse.
- Do not buy any real estate while a divorce is pending.
- Do not buy any extravagant items while a divorce is pending.
- Do not sell property without the court’s permission.
- Do not increase your debt while a divorce is pending.
- Do not give huge contributions to anyone while a divorce is pending.
- Do not discuss the suit with your children.
- Do not use your children as intermediaries.
- Do not criticize your spouse in front of your children.
Find a Divorce Lawyer in Houston, TX
If you are filing for divorce in Harris County, it will be in your best interest to retain legal counsel. The Gonzalez Law Group serves numerous communities in the greater Harris County area including Pearland, Baytown, Seabrook, La Porte, Pasadena, Galena Park, Friendswood, and many others.
Our divorce attorneys in Houston can answer all of your questions and address all of your concerns. You can have our lawyers provide an honest and thorough evaluation of your case as soon as you call (832) 530-4070 or complete an online contact form to set up a free, confidential consultation.