To learn more about why you should refrain from posting on social media after filing a personal injury claim, continue reading and reach out to our skilled Houston personal injury attorneys today.
Why should I avoid posting on social media after I filed a personal injury claim?
After you file a claim against an individual that caused your injury, you are likely handling this issue with that individual’s insurance company. In most examples, an insurance company will want to get to the bottom line instead of actually helping the injured party. As a result of this, insurance companies will typically observe the social media accounts of those who bring claims against them to see if they post anything that even remotely disputes their claim. For instance, if you are declaring that you broke your leg as a result of another’s negligence, but then post a picture of you at a dance, the insurance company can use that evidence, even taken out of context to prove that “you are not actually hurt.” As a result, you should refrain from posting until your claim is settled to ensure that no problems stop you from obtaining the compensation you need to get better.
What are the best things you can do after being injured in an accident?
- Do not post any statements or photos.
- You may accidentally disclose fault if you tell the story of your accident. Even the slightest misphrase can affect your case.
- Make your social media accounts private.
- Alter your accounts to private and evade taking any new follow requests unless they are from people you know personally.
- By not concluding this, you may risk accepting a request from someone from the other party trying to obtain your information.
- Warn your friends and family.
- You should ask that your friends and family do not post any photos of or with you.
- Avoid posting too often.
- A large part of your personal injury case can be your emotional suffering. By posting too much, you may seem emotionally untouched. Also, if you reassure your friends and family that you are doing well, you are also giving the defense access to this information, which can be used to their benefit.
You may be entitled to recover damages if you were injured as a result of another’s negligence. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to discuss your next step and to obtain more guidance on the social media world after your accident. Our experienced Houston personal injury attorneys are on your side.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.