When Will I Get My License Back After a Texas DWI?

officer holding radio

When arrested for a DWI, the first thing you may wonder is how long your driving privileges will be suspended for. Many factors can influence, including whether or not you’re over 21 or if you’ve been convicted before. As such, taking the time to familiarize yourself with these matters is essential. The following blog explores what you should know and why it’s in your best interest to connect with Houston DWI defense attorneys to discuss your options.

How Long Will I Be Without a Driver’s License After a DWI?

When arrested for a DWI, it’s essential to understand that there are two forms of suspension you can face for your actions. The first is an Administrative License Revocation (ALR) which is automatically triggered upon your arrest. If you fail a breathalyzer, you will face a 90-day suspension. If you are under 21, this is a 60-day suspension. You can also face a suspended license under the implied consent laws if you refuse to provide a breath or blood sample for chemical testing, which will result in a suspension for 180 days.

However, you can face additional criminal consequences for this offense. A first-offense DWI means that you could lose your license for up to one year following your conviction. It’s important to note that this is separate from your ALR suspension.

Is There Anything I Can Do to Get My License Back Sooner?

If you are looking to get your license back after a DWI in Texas, you may not have many options. Unlike other states that allow you to shorten the revocation period by installing an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, which essentially means you have to use a breathalyzer to start and operate a car, Texas does not offer this option.

As such, your only option to be able to drive is to apply for an Occupational Drivers License (ODL). If your application is approved, you will be able to drive under certain conditions for essential purposes like school or work. Additionally, you must install an ignition interlock device and obtain SR-22 insurance.

Once your license suspension ends, you must apply to have it reinstated. If you did not obtain an ODL, you will still need SR-22 insurance and to have an ignition interlock device installed to have the license reinstated.

Unfortunately, going without a license can affect your life as you may be unable to travel to or from work or school. Additionally, this will remain on your criminal record, which could impact employment opportunities. As such, it’s in your best interest to connect with an experienced criminal defense attorney who will examine the circumstances of your case to determine the best course of action for your needs. At the Gonzalez Law Group, we understand how complex these matters can be. As such, we will do everything we can to help you navigate these challenging times. Connect with us today to learn how we will fight for you.