If you are injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, this means dealing with insurance companies. Insurance adjusters are notoriously sneaky. Unfortunately, they are not looking out for your best interests. Instead, they are trying to protect their companies. As a result, it is important to know what to expect when speaking with insurance adjusters.
What to Know About Speaking With Insurance Adjusters
- They will probably try to lowball you and offer you an unfair settlement. They know that you are recovering from an expensive injury. They are hoping you will accept the low offer so you can immediately pay off your bills. This can hurt you in the long run.
- Insurance companies are known to downplay or deny injuries in an attempt to avoid providing compensation for medical bills. They may try to prove that you are exaggerating or even lying about your injuries. Keep a record of every doctor visit/surgery, as well as their corresponding bills.
- One of the sneakiest tactics insurance companies will use is simply ignoring you after you deny their initial offer. This is done in the hopes that the statute of limitations will pass. In Texas, the statute of limitations is two years. They are hoping two years will pass and you will no longer be able to sue. A personal injury attorney can help make sure this does not happen.
- Do not go to the body shop they suggest. This is just a suggestion, and you are not legally obligated to follow it. Sometimes, insurance companies have arrangements with autobody shops and the shop may give you a purposefully low estimate. Go to whichever body shop you trust to help ensure you get a correct estimate for any damage to your car.
- Do not answer any questions they ask without an attorney present. They may try and twist your words in order to use them against you.
- Never sign any agreements without first speaking with your attorney. Insurance company documents often include fine print.
If you are dealing with an insurance company, you will want an experienced attorney on your side. Reach out to our firm today. We are here to fight for you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.