Many people celebrate the Fourth of July with fireworks. Before purchasing and lighting fireworks, it is important to be prepared. Read on to learn more about firework safety in Texas.
Firework Safety Precautions
When it comes to lighting fireworks, it is important to take the following precautions:
- Never purchase or use illegal fireworks.
- Never allow children to light off fireworks.
- Never let pets outside during fireworks, as this can cause them to run away.
- Have a garden hose and a fire extinguisher at the ready.
- Never light off fireworks without protective glasses.
- Do not attempt to relight fireworks if they do not initially go off.
- Before lighting fireworks, ensure everybody is a safe distance away.
- After lighting off a firework, douse it with cool water and wait a while before throwing it away to avoid a potential trash can fire.
What do I do if I am Injured in a Firework Accident?
If you are injured in a firework accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene
- Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw the accident occur, ask for their contact information- they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention
- Go to the hospital immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injury.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you were injured at a friend or family member’s home, or at an event, in a firework accident due to negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to be sure to file your claim on time. In Texas, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing the opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a firework accident, our firm is here to help.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.