Construction sites are dangerous. Construction workers and innocent bystanders both become injured as a result of construction work. Because these accidents occur often, it is important to know how they are caused and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about construction accidents in Texas.
What Are the Most Common Types of Construction Accidents?
There are innumerable ways for accidents to occur on a construction site, but some of the most common accidents include:
- Accidents due to defective scaffolding
- Building collapses
- Trench cave-ins
- Ladder accidents
- Falling debris
- Falls from great heights
- Trip or slip and fall accidents
What if I Am Injured in a Construction Accident?
If you are a construction worker who has been injured on the job, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation. If you are an innocent bystander who was injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do so, it is important to take the following steps:
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident, making sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, you should ask for their phone number or email so that they can corroborate your version of events if need be.
- Seek medical attention. You should go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously documenting the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports and security footage. These are things you may not be able to access without the help of an attorney.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In Texas, you will generally have two years to file your personal injury claim.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, contact our firm today. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.