As stores begin to reopen across the country, accidents will begin to increase as well. This is an unfortunate reality of life, however, if you are someone who has been injured in a retail store, there is a very good chance you may qualify for compensation via a premises liability claim. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Texas personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the claims process going forward.
What are the most common causes of retail store accidents?
Retail store property owners are responsible for ensuring the safety of all those who enter and exit their properties. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, which often results in serious accidents. Some of the most common types of retail store accidents our firm sees are as follows:
- Slippery surfaces: When spills are left unattended, serious slip and fall accidents may occur.
- Defective stairs and escalators: Defective railings, broken or missing steps, improperly maintained escalators and more can all cause serious accidents.
- Falling merchandise: People are most frequently injured by falling merchandise in department stores and supermarkets.
- Inadequate lighting: When areas are insufficiently lighted, people often do not see certain safety hazards, causing them to sustain serious injuries.
- Unsafe parking lots: Uneven pavement, construction work, negligent signage, misdirected cars, criminal activity, and more are all very common causes of parking lot accidents.
- Defective sidewalks: Though business owners are not responsible for government or municipality-owned sidewalks, they are responsible for ensuring any sidewalk they own is safe for all passersby.
What should I do if I am injured in a retail store accident?
If you are injured in a retail store accident, you should take several steps to bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. They are as follows:
- Call the police.
- Notify the store manager/owner who should file an incident report.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their contact information.
- Take pictures of the unsafe retail store conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries from your doctor after treatment.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable Houston personal injury attorney who can gather and present all evidence needed to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence. We are here to help you.
Contact our experienced Houston firm
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.