This Fourth of July, countless numbers of people will be traveling to visit their friends and family to celebrate the holiday with pool parties, fireworks, and more. Of course, many people will also celebrate the holiday by having a couple of drinks, which is totally fine, as long as they do not make the mistake of getting behind the wheel of a car afterward. That being said, if you are someone who receives a DWI this Fourth of July, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced Texas criminal defense attorneys to learn more about the potential consequences you may face, as well as how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I get my first DWI in Texas?
For a first-offense DWI, you can expect to face various penalties, especially without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney. Those consequences are as follows:
- You may spend up to 180 days in jail.
- You may lose your license for one year.
- You may have to pay up to $2,000 in fines.
- You may have to pay an annual fee of up to $2,000 for 3 years.
What are the consequences of a second DWI in Texas?
For a second DWI in the state of Texas, you will most likely face an even more aggressive courtroom, and as a result, you may face the following consequences:
- You may have to pay up to $4,000 in fines, as well as an annual fee of up to $2,000 for 3 years.
- You may have to go to jail for one year.
- You will most likely lose your license for at least one year.
What are the penalties for a third or subsequent DWI in Texas?
For a third or subsequent DWI offense in Texas, you will most likely lose your license for several years, and you may even have to spend years in prison. Some of the various consequences you may face for a third or subsequent DWI are as follows:
- You will most likely have to pay a $10,000 fine, as well as an annual fee of up to $2,000 for 3 years.
- You may go to prison for up to ten years.
- You will most likely lose your license for at least two years.
Contact our experienced Houston firm
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.