According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Texas.
What are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents can occur for a number of different reasons. Some accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, or faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are a result of driver negligence. Some of the most common forms of driver negligence include:
- Illegal turns
- Dangerous lane changes
- Texting while driving
- Reckless driving
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
What Do I Do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911. The other driver may not want you to call the police, but it is important to do so. They can call an ambulance, file an accident report, keep the scene safe, and more.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, obtain their contact information as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document any damage done to the vehicles and property involved.
- Seek medical attention. After an accident, be sure to visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously documenting the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and bills.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Texas, you will need to retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you and walk you through the process each step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.