As if a car accident wasn’t stressful enough, now you have to speak with the other motorist’s insurance company too. If the other motorist was at fault and you were injured, this can become an even more complicated matter. This is why our experienced Houston personal injury attorneys have compiled this short list of things to keep in mind when speaking with the other party’s insurance adjusters.
- The first thing you must understand is that insurance companies are businesses, and as such, their best interests are their primary concern–not yours. Keep this in mind throughout your dealings with the other party’s insurance company.
- With this in mind, you should not be surprised that they may try and lowball your initial settlement. Do not take it without speaking with an experienced Houston personal injury attorney first.
- Do not let the insurance company tell you or insinuate that you are not “really injured.” They very well may, and this is because they are trying to get out of paying your medical bills. Do not let this happen. Keep a record of every doctor visit/surgery, as well as their corresponding bills.
- One of the sneakiest tactics insurance companies will use is simply ignoring you after you deny their initial claim. Do not be fooled–they are doing this on purpose. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Texas is two years, and if they can delay you filing your claim past that timeframe, you will most likely be barred from suing. An experienced attorney can help ensure this does not happen.
- Do not go to the body shop they suggest. This is a suggestion, and you are not legally obligated to follow it. Go to whichever body shop you trust to help ensure you get a correct estimate for any damage to your car.
- Do not answer any questions they ask without a seasoned attorney present. They may try and twist your words with ambiguous statements or trick questions.
- Finally, never sign any agreements without first speaking with your attorney. Remember, though the insurance companies are seldom on your side, we always are. It is our job to ensure you get a fair settlement–not theirs.
For any additional questions, give us a call today. We are always here to help.
Contact our experienced Houston firm
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.