If you are someone who has recently received a marijuana-related criminal charge in Texas, you have a lot to consider. There are few things worse than being charged with a crime, as it often results in obtaining a criminal record, which can affect your life for years to come. That being said, our Texas criminal defense attorneys understand that receiving a marijuana-related charge does not make you a bad person, and we are here to defend your right to live a free, productive life going forward. The Texas criminal justice system comes down hard on all those facing drug charges, which is why you need an attorney with extensive experience combatting these charges. Please continue reading speak with our seasoned firm today to learn more about the consequences of marijuana-related charges in Texas and how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am caught in possession of marijuana in Texas?
If you are being charged with marijuana possession in Houston or anywhere in Texas, you are looking at very serious consequences. Those consequences are as follows:
- 2 oz. or less: This is a Class B misdemeanor, and upon conviction, you may face up to 180 days of incarceration, as well as a potential $2,000 fine.
- 2-4 oz: This is a Class A misdemeanor, and upon conviction, you may face up to 1 year in jail and a potential $4,000 fine.
- 4 oz-5 lbs: This is a state jail felony, and upon conviction, you may have to spend up to 2 years in jail on top of a potential $10,000 fine.
- 5-50 lbs: This is a third-degree felony, and upon conviction, you are looking at up to 10 years of incarceration and face a potential $10,000 fine.
- 50-2,000 lbs: This is a second-degree felony, and upon conviction, you may spend up to 20 years in prison and face a potential $10,000 fine.
- More than 2,000 lbs: This is a capital felony, and upon conviction, you are looking at a potential 99-year prison sentence and a potential $50,000 fine.
The bottom line is that if you are facing any marijuana-related charges, whether of possession, distribution, or cultivation, you need an experienced Houston criminal defense attorney on your side. We are here to help you today–all you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.
Contact our experienced Houston firm
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.