If you are facing the consequences of a domestic violence charge, do not wait to give our firm a call today. Our skilled Houston family violence defense attorneys are on your side no matter what. Here are some questions you may have:
HOW DOES TEXAS DEFINE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?
In Texas, domestic violence is defined as an act by a member of a family or household against another member of the family or household that;
- is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault or sexual assault; or
- that is a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself;
If you have been charged with domestic violence in Texas, you can anticipate serious consequences. This charge can vary from a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to a year in prison to a first-degree felony with a penalty of between 5 and 99 years in prison. Some common keywords with definitions that are generally used when discussing domestic violence issues include the following:
- Family: this includes individuals related by blood or through marriage, individuals who are former spouses of each other, individuals who are parents of the same child, without regard to marriage, and a foster child and foster parent, without respect to whether those individuals live together.
- Household: This is defined as a unit made up of people living in the same dwelling, without regard to whether they are related to one another.
- Member of a Household: This includes someone who once lived in a household.
It is in your best interest to reach out to our legal team if you have questions or concerns about domestic violence offenses in Texas. Our legal team is on your side.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OFFENSES IN TEXAS?
Some crimes are may be deemed domestic violence offenses because of the victims involved or the place in which the incidents took place. Some of the most common instances of domestic violence offenses that people are charged with include the following:
- Domestic Assault;
- Child abuse;
- Continuous violence against the family;
- Assault with Strangulation;
- Protective order hearings; and
- Violation of protective order
It is in your best interest to reach out to our skilled Texas criminal defense attorneys today. Our reliable legal team recognizes the hardships you may be facing with a domestic violence charge on your record. We are just one call away.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.