A criminal record can have far-reaching negative consequences beyond jail time and fines. Criminal convictions can have lasting effects on your ability to obtain housing, get a job, receive financial aid, and much more. Fortunately, there are preventative measures that can be taken to ensure that you will not end up in this situation. Speak with our Houston criminal defense attorneys at The Gonzalez Law Group to learn more about how a criminal record can impact your life and how we can help you. Here are some questions you may have regarding criminal records in the state of Texas:
What are the consequences of having a criminal record in Texas?
In addition to the immediate consequences of a criminal conviction, having a criminal record will continue to impact many aspects of your life even after the jail time or charges have been served. Some ways in which a criminal record can impact your life are:
- When you are applying for a job, you will have to answer “yes” if you are asked if you’ve ever been convicted of a crime. This can make it more difficult to secure employment.
- If you have been convicted of a sex crime, you will be registered as a sex offender, which notifies the public of your crime and whereabouts at all times.
- If you were convicted of a DUI, it is more likely than not that you will be unable to obtain a commercial driver’s license.
- Criminal convictions can also hinder an opportunity to work in certain government positions.
- If you are a divorced parent, having a criminal record may impact your child custody agreement in order to protect the best interests of the child.
- Some criminal convictions can interfere with the ability to take out certain loans.
- When looking to rent a property, landlords will often do a background check and will be less likely to allow someone with a criminal record to live on their property.
Can I clear my criminal record in Texas?
Certain lower-level crimes can qualify for expungement in Texas. If you believe you qualify for expungement, contact our knowledgeable Texas criminal defense attorneys today. We are ready to help.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.