Car accidents occur extremely often. It has been reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that in the U.S., a car accident happens every 60 seconds. Because car accidents are so common, and driving is such a big part of our everyday lives, it is important to know what to do in the event of an accident.
What is the Most Common Cause of Car Accidents?
Some car accidents are due to faulty car parts, poor road conditions, and inclement weather. But, the majority of accidents are caused by driver negligence. In fact, distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents in the United States. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, texting while driving is six times more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol.
What do I do After an Accident Occurs?
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: the police can file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, obtain witness statements, and more.
- Document the scene: one of the most important things you can do is take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: if anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Politely ask the other driver for his or her contact and insurance information. Be sure to keep conversation to a minimum and avoid apologizing, as this can be misconstrued as an admission of guilt.
- Seek medical attention: even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured, it is important to go to the hospital anyway. It is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Additionally, this will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Reach out to a personal injury attorney right away: an attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.