Location: Houston, Texas
Kevin Acevedo has ample experience as a trial lawyer, focusing principally in the areas of criminal law, personal injury, construction law, insurance law, civil rights and numerous commercial/business disputes (including contracts, intellectual property, franchise-franchisee relations, bankruptcy and maritime, among others). He also has experience in employment discrimination cases.
Mr. Acevedo is admitted to practice law in Texas and Puerto Rico, as well as numerous federal courts. Prior to joining The Gonzalez Law Group, he worked in the litigation department of a large, corporate law firm. He also served as Deputy Legal Counsel and Deputy Legislative Advisor of Legislative Affairs to the Governor of Puerto Rico, and well as General Counsel for the Commerce Secretary of Puerto Rico.
He served as an Adjunct Professor of the Inter-American University School of Law (2006-2009) where he lectured law students on subjects related to federal courts, trial and appellate practice. Upon graduating from law school he clerked for a U.S. District Judge and an Associate Justice of Puerto Rico’s Supreme Court.
Mr. Acevedo is fully bilingual (Spanish and English) and obtained his law degree from the University of Puerto Rico School of Law, where he served as a member of the Law Review, as Vice Editor-in-Chief, and worked as Research and Teaching Assistant to Professor at Law and former Law School Dean David M. Heldfeld, J.S.D.
He was selected to represent his law school in two (2) prestigious competitions: the Cathy Bennett National Federal Criminal Trial Competition (of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) in Chicago, Illinois, and the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, in Washington, D.C., where he was listed as one of the “Top 100 Oralists.” Mr. Acevedo obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Puerto Rico (magna cum laude).
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Civil Rights
- Commercial/Business Disputes
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Adjunct Professor, Inter American University School of Law, 2006 – 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association