Memorial Day Weekend is a time of celebration and gratitude here in the United States. Unfortunately, according to the Fatality Analysis Reporting System, it is also the most deadly holiday weekend on the road. From 2011-2015, there were, on average, 312 Memorial Day Weekend car crash fatalities every year, due in large part to motorists driving under the influence. If you are injured in an auto accident this Memorial Day, please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Texas personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after being injured in a car accident?
If you are wrongly injured in a car accident, you should take several steps, as long as you are physically capable, to bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. They are as follows:
- Call the police. Your health is of the utmost importance. The police will document the incident, send an ambulance to the scene, and de-escalate any tension if necessary.
- Next, you should ask the other driver for his or her insurance information. Be polite, however, do not say too much, and never apologize, under any circumstances.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their contact information so they may verify your claim at a later date.
- Take pictures of any damage to your car, the other motorist’s car, and any property involved.
- Obtain medical documents once you are treated at the hospital.
- Retain the services of an experienced Texas personal injury attorney who knows how to satisfy the burden of proof.
How long do I have to sue for an injury in Texas?
Many people who are injured in auto accidents will wait to take legal action against the liable party to see if their injuries heal on their own. Unfortunately, in many cases, this decision will come back to haunt you, as there is a statute of limitations in place for personal injury claims in Texas. Since the statute of limitations is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to pursue a lawsuit against the party responsible. If you wait any longer than two years, you will most likely be barred from suing. Do not let this happen. We are ready to help you through every step of the claims process–all you have to do is ask.
Contact our experienced Houston firm
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.