If you were pulled over for driving while intoxicated over the Fourth of July weekend, you may face serious penalties. Read on to learn more about DWIs in Texas.
What are the Penalties For a First-Offense DWI in Texas?
Many people believe that they will not face serious consequences for a DWI if it is their first offense. This is certainly not the case. Driving while intoxicated puts your life at risk, as well as the lives of your passengers, any other drivers on the road, and pedestrians. Texas takes DWIs very seriously, and a first offense can mean:
- You may lose your license for up to one year
- Up to 180 days of incarceration
- You may have to pay up to $2,000 in fines
- You will most likely have to pay an annual fee of $2,000 for 3 years
What if I am Charged with a Second DWI?
If you are charged with a second DWI, you will be considered a repeat offender. As a result, your penalties will increase. These penalties may include:
- A potential $4,000 fine
- You will most likely lose your license for up to one year
- Up to one year of incarceration
- You may have to pay an annual fee of $2,000 for 3 years
Will I Go to Jail for a Third DWI?
If you receive a third DWI, you will face life-altering consequences, such as:
- Losing your license for 2 years
- Up to 10 years of incarceration
- You may have to pay a hefty $10,000 fine
- You will most likely have to pay an annual fee of up to $2,000 for 3 years
If you are facing charges for a DWI, you will need to retain the help of an experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you. We understand that people make mistakes and we will explore all possible avenues of defense. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON FIRM
We understand how challenging various legal matters can be, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to helping clients in Texas through a wide array of legal matters, including personal injury law and criminal defense. If you have sustained a serious injury or are facing criminal charges, contact the Gonzalez Law Group today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.