When the orders related to custody, visitation or child support have become unworkable or are no longer in the best interest of your child, a modification of the orders may be necessary. Under Texas law, either parent may file a petition to modify the order if there is a material and substantial change with the child or at least one of the parents since the entry of the prior order.

Examples of material and substantial changes include:

  • Abuse or neglect of the child
  • Substance abuse
  • Moving out of state or out of the country
  • Major medical emergencies
  • Second marriages or new relationships
  • The child is 12 years old and wishes to live with noncustodial parent
  • The parent having the right to designate the child's residence has voluntarily relinquished that right to noncustodial parent for at least six months
  • Unemployment
  • The obligor's income has increased or decreased

The Gonzalez Law Group family attorneys can discuss the merits of your case at 832-530-4070. Se habla español.